Short-term experts for project preparation in fragile contexts
Invitation for pool of specialists for a KfW Framework Agreement: Project preparation in contexts of fragility, migration and peacebuilding
NIRAS is looking for specialists for project preparation and early implementation studies in fragile contexts of Africa, the Middle East and South Asia. The short-term service assignments are to take place under a Framework Agreement with the German Development Bank, KfW. They take place in settings of crisis prevention, peacebuilding and support of refugees and host communities.
Services under the Framework Agreement include: Pre-Feasibility Studies; Environmental and Social Due Diligence; Analysis of Project Executing Agency; Peace and Conflict Analysis; and Analysis of Target Groups.
These services will typically be implemented in the context of different sectors, including: water, energy, transport, health, education, and peacebuilding / crisis prevention.
NIRAS seeks qualified specialists who can demonstrate significant experience to conduct 1 or more of the above services, according to KfW or other comparable Development Bank guidelines and standards.
NIRAS is expressing its interest in the Framework Agreement. Interested candidates are invited to apply. The application should include an up-to-date CV in Europass format and/or Development Bank format.
Brief descriptions of services:
• Pre-Feasibility Study: to analyse relevant framework conditions and the development of a concept (options) for a new project within the scope of the financial cooperation for different (sub-) sectors.
• Environmental and Social Due Diligence: to contribute to project identification and project preparation through high level screening of planned interventions regarding environmental and social risks and potential impacts.
• Analysis of Project Executing Agency: to assess in particular the institutional and legal aspects, the organisational and human capacity, and the economic performance of the potential Project Executing Agency.
• Peace and Conflict Analysis: to ensure that the interventions are tailored to the specific contexts, and to ensure the context-sensitive design and appropriate risk management of the new project and / or project design that actively contributes to peace, security, and state-building.
• Analysis of Target Groups and Project-Affected People: to ensure that the interventions are tailored to the specific contexts, and to ensure that the project design reflects relevant information regarding the target group, project-affected people, development needs and potentials, and the dynamics between project and context.
Qualifications requiredOnly the experts meeting the set criteria will be shortlisted and contacted.
• Postgraduate university degree, in a subject of clear relevance to 1 or more of the above services.
• Proved experience as specialist in 1 or more of the above services, including as lead specialist in a minimum 5 comparable assignments within the last 3 years. “Comparable assignments” refers to assignments according to KfW or other Development Bank guidelines and standards.
• Significant knowledge and professional experience in 1 or more of the above sectors (water, energy, transport, health, education, and peacebuilding / crisis prevention).
• 5+ years’ professional experience (continuous or proved cumulative) in fragile/ conflict contexts in countries of Anglophone Africa, Francophone Africa, Middle East, or South Asia
• 10+ years’ professional experience in international development projects and contexts
Professional experience required
• Responsiveness to individual calls within a framework agreement.
• Excellent coordination and personal time management skills.
• Ability to reliably deliver service outputs in direct alignment with the terms of reference and to the expectations of the client.
• Willingness to undertake short-term missions to fragile contexts, with appropriate safety and security back-up from NIRAS.
• Ability to engage and communicate sensitively in multi-stakeholder contexts and settings of diverse cultures.
• Fluency in verbal English, French, and/or Arabic; fluency in further national languages in the respective regions is an asset.
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills in English, French, or Arabic.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Duration of Framework Agreement: up to 48 months (tentative); Duration of services (assignments): typically 15 – 40 working days (tentative).
Expected August 2021 (tentative)
Deadline For Applications
Apply for this job
If you have already registered your CV in the NIRAS CV database, please login first.
Type in your e-mail address and we will send you a login link.
If you have not yet registered your CV in our database, please register now.Register now